Thursday, February 02, 2006

the great apple crash

as related to lin, who said it reminded her of the movie "Duplex" where the male protagonist wrote a book, saved it in his laptop which somehow caught fire and was later run down by a truck.

"i was on leave on friday. to complete my project. but at the eleventh hour, my computer crashed. yup that's right, my apple. before the design was sent to the printer. so needless to say, missed the project deadline, even today the computer is still in comatose. dunno whether the files all gone or not. so i spent cny re-doing the entire project by hand...... no more fancy computer graphics.

i cldnt control myself and started crying in class (before the tutor came in of course) on friday evening before the project presentation session. becos i brought computer along in the hope that it wld somehow revive on the spot so at least can still present something. but it just refused to start and i consulted everyone to ask if they knew what to do when apple hangs but all shake their head and seeing that, of course i was devastated. just then, my friend had to call at that moment to ask if i m free to meet up at another friend's place on tues and i just lost my cool and blabbered that my computer has crashed and i missed my project deadline and i m swamped with work and can't make it for whatever house visiting. at the other end of the line, the guy was like very nervous on hearing my outburst and quickly said goodbye. that was the trigger point and i felt very upset and went to hide out in the toilet and started tearing. and then one of my classmates had to come in at that time to use the loo. drats. so i had to evacuate before she sees me in such a
wreck. tried to keep cool but then went into class and someone asked how's my project and that just opened the floodgates.

thinking back, it's quite funny. all the hard work and sleepless nights all flushed down the drain.... coincidentally, this project is abt designing a park next to a canal..."

next time when you watch some slapstick movie about a guy's laptop getting run over by a truck and think it's ridiculous and unbelievable, think again. it really isn't very far from reality. such things do happen... i will from now on, always always back up my data!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aiyoh...

back up your data is a must, but please remember to back it up in another source, not on the same machine...

*hugs*

10:42 PM  
Blogger バーニ。シン said...

Har!!! So poor thing!!!

To make you feel better, I also got this experience before when I was still in NUS. I had no laptop at that time when I was in the hall... So I need to rely on school's comp-lab...

I was rushing an important presentation slides in the YIH computer lab... It took me more than 5 hrs slogging in front of the computer til late evening and just when I was abt to finish, the computer HANGED!!!

Sh*t!! I was near tears and was shivering from terror! so no choice lor, had to restart the computer and tried hard to see if got any doc being "retrieved"... Bad luck, no retrieval, so I had to redo all over again. And more bad luck, the computer lab was closing in 30mins time!

Thus I could only do a really simple presentation slides, with no pictures, no animations, nothing...

tough... It seems like such incidents are always around...

Ganbateh!!!

10:00 AM  
Blogger nan said...

i thought such things only happen to me... very comforted to know i m not the only one!

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home